Friday, April 22, 2011

C & C, Take Three!

Last night was the third edition of my monthly get-together with my girlfriends and our kids to craft and enjoy a beverage or two: Cocktails and Crafts!


In case you're not familiar with how Cocktails and Crafts goes, it's very simple.  You find a group of friends who like to be creative and make a monthly date to get together!  Depending on your situation, you may want your crafts to be an activity for your kids, or you may just want an excuse for girl time.  You don't need to have kids to participate in C & C--it's for anyone who has a creative side!

Speaking of creative, it was my friend Katie's turn to host and provide the craft, and she is always my crafty wingman.  I knew her craft would be a simple and fun way to entertain our kids without causing too much chaos.  I also knew that she wouldn't screw her craft up, as I so often do, and so was glad to head to her house with just Jax in tow.  And of course, I was right.  Her craft was great fun and super easy!

The perennial favorite, Pine Cone Bird Feeders!

Supplies:
pine cone
peanut butter
popsicle sticks
bird seed
yarn/twine/string



And don't forget your tasty beverage, alcholic or not!


Instructions

This craft has only three steps to crafty happiness.

Step 1: spread peanut butter on the pine cone using a popsicle stick 


Step 2:  roll your peanut-butter-smeared pine cone in bird seed, dumping some on top for good measure, like sprinkles on an ice cream cone


Step 3:  hang your bird-seed-coated pine cone SECURELY with string/yarn/twine.  If you know me, I don't have to tell you that I did a haphazard job on this and that my pine cone slipped off within moments


Finally, you will have a bird feeder worthy of kings, made with love by your kiddos.


There were definitely some birdseed-dumping incidents, but we can all laugh off a good mess and enjoy our two-year-olds' obession with sweeping as form of entertainment.

Once the craft is done, hang out with your friends and revel in the fact that your kids are growing up and don't need you to play right next to them anymore.  They have fun on their own. 





Then it was time to put these kids to bed.  They are such great buddies; there was many a hug before we could go.

 My favorite photo of the night is of Jax and Andrew.  For two great friends, they just weren't in the mood to hug goodbye.  Hence the hands by their side/chest bump/lean.  Hilariously obedient and aloof.


Thank you to all my great friends for getting together once a month for an excuse to have a drink--I mean, get crafty (wink *).  And just so you won't worry about us, of the five of us there, I was the only one neither pregnant nor breastfeeding.  There was a lot of caffeine-free soda going on.  And although I brought most of the ingredients for sangria, I did forget the triple sec so we'll just save that cocktail for next month!


Cheers to another memorable night, a successful craft, and great friends young and old(er)!

By the way, be sure to check out all the great sites I'm linking this craft up to in my Links n Things tab above!

13 comments:

Reanaclaire said...

coming by to visit your blog...

Nicole said...

Looks like tons of fun!

Dawniebee12 said...

We did our first C&C party down here in NC. It was so fun. I mean, what's NOT fun with mimosas??

XLMIC said...

It surely looks like EVERYONE had a great time!

Unknown said...

Wow, what a great idea! My girls made bird feeders similar to this last spring. They had a lot of fun. But I love the idea of a cocktail and craft evening with friends. I may have to schedule one up soon. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Blessings,
Rosann
http://www.christiansupermom.com/

Yasher said...

Looks like wonderful fun! I'd have to find an alternative to peanut butter for a craft like this (nut allergy in our house), but I love the idea! And great photos!

Mrs. No-No said...

Great post and what a great idea...may have to institute the once a month cocktails - oops! I mean crafts - at my house, too :)
Found you on the BH - will be linking to you on FB and twitter, too. Stop by and visit me when you have time. Looking forward to more ideas!
Thanks!
Carla at Mrs. No-No Knows
www.twitter.com/mrsnonoknows
www.facebook.com/mrsnonoknows

Anonymous said...

I remember making those bird feeders when I was younger :)

I'm a new follower from thirsty Thursday blog hop :)

http://makeupxmama.blogspot.com

Cathy @ NurtureStore said...

Oh my goodness, I've been doing my crafts wrong all these years - I need a cocktail!! Lovely to see you at the Play Academy again.

At The Picket Fence said...

Now, THIS is my kind of craft party cause I could just skip the craft and enjoy the cocktail, right? LOL! But seriously, the craft you shared is adorable too and I am going to try this one out with my kiddos. And I am going to steal your "Craft and Cocktail" theme and do that sometime with my girlfriends. :-) Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Inspiration Friday this week...we always love having you link up!
Vanessa

Kitty Deschanel said...

Great photos, but BRRRR, it looks chilly there! Good for you for helping out those chilly birds :)

Unknown said...

Now this is a GREAT idea!! Crafting and sipping a drink with friends! Best get together I could think of! Thanks for sharing on Fancy This Fridays!!!

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

I need some friends to C & C with! I am the only crafty one...perhaps the food and drink will entice them.

Thanks for linking to Creative Juice Thursday. Hope to see you back this week.