Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Crafty Conclusion

This is a story of a happy little craft that was relatively painless to make and resulted in a very pretty flower arrangement that perhaps will adorn our table at Easter.  But in order to fully understand how these flowers rose from the ashes of crafty destruction, you'll have to go back one post (or click here) and read about their humble beginnings.  Plus, you won't know how to make the egg-shaped paint sample cutouts without it!  Well, here's the brief version: get some paint swatches at Sherwin Williams and cut them into egg shapes.  Rocket science.

So now that you're caught up, here is part 2 to that craft's thankless end.  How I turned that mess into something rather pretty.

Materials:
* Thin wooden dowels
* craft sticks (aka clean popsicle sticks)
* green paint
* glue
* scissors
* something flower box-like

Explanation:
Once I realized my garland wasn't going to work out (It's not you, it's me), JDubbs and I brainstormed an easy alternative craft.  JDubbs helped because he knew otherwise I would never let him go to sleep until I had thought of something on my own.  We spent a few minutes looking at those godforsaken little eggs


and figured I could arrange them in groups of five to make flowers.  Love it.

And, it just so happened, that Daddy took Jax to Home Depot for their free kids workshop (see my 365 Project for photos) and they had built me a planter/flower box.  I was actually using it to store my discarded eggs in when it hit me that I could use that as my flowers' home.  The only question was how to get them to stand up.  I needed something that I could disguise as grass but would also hold up my flowers.  We just so happened to have some styrofoam laying around from our bathroom remodel, so I shoved some in there and painted it green.  I plan on covering it up with some of that fake Easter grass when I get to the store next to buy some.

Then I painted two wooden dowels and two craft popsicle sticks green as well.


This was the only part that Jax participated in.  I got too stressed out with him and the glue, although interestingly I have no problem letting him paint.  Because I'm such a crafting professional (or something).



He did get paint on some of the few remaining pink eggs.  That's when I kindly asked him to go watch Word World so Mommy could finish up the craft that wouldn't die. 


Okay, finally.  The good stuff.  Group your eggs into arrangements of five to look like flowers.  I stayed in the same general color scheme, but you can do what you like.


 Then you glue the clusters together.  I cut out a small green circle and glued them all to that.



Hmmm...I wonder if she used a template or if she just eye-balled those eggs.  Hard to tell...
They're so symmetrical...

Then I glued my flower cluster to the dowel and/or popsicle stick, added leaves, and a colorful center. 


 
Behold!
My egg garland rejects have morphed into beautiful flowers!
 



Considering I was about to throw those stupid eggs in the fireplace, I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out.   I will freely admit that Jax's flower planter really is the icing on the cake.  And the kids like them, too!  Jax loved "smelling" them and shared one with his sister.



So there's another lesson to be learned within this crafty catastrophe.  You can be creative and create beautiful things, even if you do have to wing it.  And whether they're perfect or not, you're kids will think they are, and isn't that who you're doing this for, anyway?  I actually like my flowers better than the egg garland, anyway.

And if you're doing this for yourself and are capable of creating something awesome, you're definitely more talented than me so we wouldn't even be having this conversation anyway.  Good for you.  And really, good for me, too.

22 comments:

my3littlebirds said...

Those turned out so cute! I would have called it a day at the garland...but I'm lazy like that. Good job, mama.

Debbie said...

adorable! (I send my kids off to watch Word World too. a lot. lol)

Unknown said...

Nice save. :)

Realized I added ya under The Other Blog, so I had to come add and comment again!
~K
bigklittlea.blogspot.com

Alicia said...

Such a cool Spring project! The best crafting investment I've ever made was colored popsicle sticks. They're like half a cent more and a gazillion times worth it becuase I personally hate the effort it takes to paint them lol.

ALSO! Home Depot does free workshops????? No way! I so have to look that up in our area!

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com said...

Don't tell anyone but I like your flowers better too - the best home decor is whatever brings your kids the most joy.

I'm your newest follower ;)

Kelli W said...

So cute! I love that you took a crafty fail and turned it into something great!

Paper Bagley said...

Wonderful idea for my grand kids and I, thanks so much for sharing...Tootsie at Paper Bagley

At The Picket Fence said...

First of all, you are hilarious! I love it when folks share the reality of doing projects (including the little "helpers") and this turned out to be such an adorable craft and really, really clever. Really! :-) Thank you so much for sharing this with us at Inspiration Friday this week!
Vanessa

Jill said...

Good for you! they turned out to be beautiful flowers!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

April said...

Aww! these are so cute! I would love for you to come link up to my Sew Crafty Party !

sarah said...

o my these are sooo cute!!

Linda said...

CUTE!

Jenn Erickson said...

"All's well that ends well!" as they say. I love the way you turned your craftastrophe into something wonderful!

Jessica said...

Very cute - what a great craft for the kids!

Ginger said...

Cuteness! the flowers too.... ;)
Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

That's one happy lil centerpiece!

Thanks for linking up to Creative Juice Thursday! Hope to see more of your dirt this week...lol...

Sweet Peas and Bumblebees said...

Such a cute idea!!

We would love it if you linked up your idea at our What I Made Wednesday Linky Party!!

Alisa
Sweet Peas and Bumblebees
sweetpeasandbb.blogspot.com

Brandy J. said...

Such a fun and clever way to play with your kids. Thanks for sharing!!

Jen said...

Love this! Super fun and easy! Thanks for sharing at fantastic Friday. I hope that you will join us again this week!

Cathy @ NurtureStore said...

Lovely to see you at the Play Academy. Who needs perfect? They're pretty and it's great the kids got to pretend play with them too.

Quirky Homemaker said...

They turned out cute! Loved your train wreck story. LOL I've had quite a few crafts frustrate the you-know-what out of me in the past couple weeks. Have a great weekend. Oh! I have a new hop starting tonight(Thurs) at midnight. It will be up all weekend. Stop by and join if you'd like.

Jenn Erickson said...

You definitely turned your craftastrophe into a triumph and set a really wonderful example for your children in the process!


Thank you so much for being a part of "A Little Birdie Told Me..." Tuesday at Rook No. 17

Jenn