Thursday, January 27, 2011

Rub Some Dirt On It!

Today is the day!  The long-awaited day when BIG changes come to the blog.  You have probably noticed them already.

1.  New title!  Rub Some Dirt On It.  For the sake of our privacy, I had to move on from our catchy old title.  Where did the new one come from?  Well, I can't pretend to have thought of it all on my own.  After brainstorming with my Mommy Network for several days, we narrowed it down to something that sounds Mommy-ish but isn't completely lame.  Something that says, "I am a mother of small children" without saying it outright.  Suddenly, it hit me.  "Rub some dirt on it!"  That is a favorite line, initiated by my dear friend Katie, of my friends when our toddlers inevitably fall down or bump their heads.  They still get a kiss or a band-aid, but inevitably they need to toughen up a little bit.  Growing up is hard work, on the kids and the mommies!  Sometimes a kiss is required, but sometimes we can dust ourselves off and just give it a rub and all is well.  Childhood is like that; parenthood is like that.  Eventually all kids are brave enough to go out into the world on their own.  They don't always need Mommy right there in order to survive.  Just knowing Mommy is there if necessary will one day be good enough.  They may just have to rub some dirt on a hurt and learn to cope on their own.  Mommies, too.

2.  New layout.  Trying to be cleaner and more minimal.  Still have the Project 365 going, still located under the header.  Our bios have moved up there as well.  Speaking of which, I hope the gigantic header is gone and this one  loads a little faster for you.  Please let me know if that is not the case!

3.  The header.  Okay.  I know you all loved Em as the little reindeer, but the holiday season is over and we have to move on.  I know it's sad because she really is the cutest thing.  I will continue to change the pictures as I take some that fit the title.  Also, I know it doesn't stretch across the entire blog, but when I do that, I'm back to the gigantic header and the image isn't as great.  What do you think?  Should I stretch it out, make it smaller, or leave it as is?  Please give me some feedback!

4.  Your bookmark.  If you have bookmarked this page, you do NOT have to change it.  The website itself hasn't changed.  Just the appearance.

5.  If you have a blog and I am listed as one of the blogs you follow, please take a second and change the name for me on your site (you don't have to on your dashboard).  I don't want people to be confused when clicking your site and arriving at another one with a completely different name!

Thank you for supporting me during all this.  The blog is still the same blog. Still me, doing what I love to do.  Blogging.  Writing.  Taking and editing photos.  Complaining.  Loving.  Living.  I hope you still want to come along for the ride with us, even if it's in a slightly new vehicle!  Hopefully we wind up somewhere very cool together.  Like Sunset Cliffs at Sunset.  Cool like that.

1 comment:

lauren & aaron said...

I like the new header....although the old one was such a cute picture too. :) Is there a way to add something along the right side without adding to the loading time?? I see what you mean about it loading differently, but I also see how it's all toward the left side. Will it center at all maybe? I don't know if I'd like it that way, but it might help that white space along the right. I also like the title...we've started doing the "yay! we're ok!!" cheer every time we have a bump or spill. :) I miss the old stuff too, but I'm willing to go along for the ride! :)

OK and I know this has nothing to do with the blog, but I'm also going to email you back. Soon! :)