Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Babies 1 and 2

I've seen a huge difference in myself and JDubbs as we traverse the rocky road of new parenthood once again.  We are calmer.  We don't disagree as much.  We take the rough patches more easily and enjoy the pleasues of babyness a little more.  And I think I know why.

I'll speak only for myself, but I know with Baby #1 I wouldn't have recognized a parental instinct if it punched me in the mouth, at least not until Jax was sleeping and eating on a discernible schedule.  Instead of listening to what I thought was best, I often deferred to books, expert websites; "professionals," if you will.  But what makes a professional parent?  Looking back I wonder how I discounted myself so quickly.

Jax is a sweet, smart, loving, affectionate toddler with great sleeping habits and decent eating habits.  He's healthy, happy, and vibrant. Is that because we read so many parenting books?  No, I don't think so. Is it because we loved the heck out of him and let him know we are here for him whenever he needs us, no matter what time, no matter what?  Is it because we started doing what we thought was right and stopped listening to people who were supposed to know our son better than we did?  I think I'm getting warmer...

So now, with Baby #2, I find myself reading baby books and websites just to see what cool milestones to expect this month or to find out whether I can combine frozen breast milk with the refrigerated stuff.  Not to find out how to raise my child or whether or not we're doing this parenting thing right.  Because who knows her better than us?  Hey, the experts didn't think I had anything to worry about and it turned out I was in labor, right?  So maybe I do know a thing or two about being a mom.


Em is not the best sleeper.  She loves to be snuggled and cuddled and held upright--under those conditions she'd probably sleep all night.  Or on her belly--she loves being on her belly!  But since the experts say we have to lay her down flat on her back to sleep, we had some long nights.  Now that we talked it over with our pediatrician and got the go-ahead to have her sleep in the bouncy chair so she can breathe easier, we're all sleeping more soundly.  We knew in our guts and hearts something wasn't right, so we acted on it.  And when it comes to the small things, like not spoiling baby and not creating bad habits, I barely listen to the experts at all. 

Because I know this


...won't last too much longer.  Pretty soon she'll be in her crib twice a day for her regularly scheduled naps and she won't need to cuddle or snuggle anymore.  So I'm going to snuggle and cuddle as much as I can until she stops me.  Actually I'm going to go do it right now.  Naptime calls and my baby is growing every moment.  And what she needs right now is her mommy to take a nap, too, so we can all play later. 
Sounds perfect to me.

No comments: