Monday, March 21, 2011

Sugaring

This weekend I was initiated into Vermonterhood.  I did something that every true blue Vermonter considers just another day, yet I had never done it before.  Our family, plus Nana and Papa and some friends of theirs, went to a sugar house and tried some fresh maple syrup, literally fresh out of the tap.


I can't say that I learned anything about the process other than the fact that it requires a lot of steam.  Or maybe it produces a lot of steam.  Either way, it was steamy in there, which was good since it was quite a chilly morning!



This particular sugar shack is in South Woodstock, Vermont, and along with its delicious maple syrup, it has a very interesting display of antique sugaring paraphernalia.  Well, interesting to photograph, anyway.


This is also where we found the lucky horseshoe that I posted the other day.  Jax was pretty intrigued by the whole experience, and eagerly awaited his chance to try fresh maple syrup!

Taking shots with Papa


He literally stuck his tongue as far as it would go inside that Dixie cup.  He was like a little anteater, trying to get every smackerel of syrup.  Like Winnie-the-Pooh and his honey.


It really was an interesting morning, and I gleaned a little information here and there.  But mostly I just took photographs and waited for our hosts (the sugarers?) to bust out the donuts to dip in the syrup.








Finally, the donuts were served.  They were as good as advertised, and dipped in the freshest maple syrup I could get my hands on...pretty ridiculously delicious, I must say.

Do you see that little donut monster hovering around in the background?  Just waiting for us grown-ups to walk away so he could pilfer some more.


It was chilly so we scooted as soon as we finished our delightful snack.  It was a gorgeous little spot and I would love to go back there in the fall.  I bet it's amazing.  Especially this tree, which I couldn't get enough of.



Imagine that tree with awesome fall colors.  I think we'll definitely be back.  I feel a photo shoot coming on.  And a craving for more syrup.



So I am officially a Vermonter now.  I already had my Green Mountain State license, but I think this seals the deal.  I was always of questionable origin until now.  I finally can say that I've been to a sugar shack and tasted fresh maple syrup.  And you know what?  I have no idea why it took me this long. 

******************************

By the way, this post was featured on http://www.blogher.com/ under What's Hot!  I love that such a cold day is considered a "hot" topic!

4 comments:

Karen said...

Sounds like a super fun family day! Sounds like that would be a fun DeVincent Day =) Maybe we will have to try that in the fall. We are always looking for new things to do. Ummm ALSO I can so see your FIL in Jax. The picture of the 2 of them, Jax looks so much like him =) Glad it was a good day!

Heather said...

Love the pic of you and Em by your tree!

Dawniebee12 said...

And...you're wearing a turtleneck! VT and mommyhood has changed you, Bones.I'm so proud...

faith ann raider said...

wow - love these :) Especially the shot with the doughnuts - I bet that was tasty! Thanks so much for linking up.