Wednesday, May 6, 2009

A Day at the Museum

Jax and I were lucky enough to be invited to the local children/science museum, the Montshire, by a mommy and baby we know from yoga. She has a free pass so we got to check it out free of charge. Our friends Katharine and Harper came, too, and I am happy to report we had a great time!! Considering that Jax can't even crawl, I wasn't sure if there would be enough for him to do, but we spent two and a half hours there and had a lot of fun. I can definitely see us getting a year pass and making it a monthly trip, especially on a rainy (or snowy) day. Besides the museum, there are trails to hike through the woods and along the Connecticut River, and picnic spots to enjoy lunch on a sunny day.

My favorite part was the tanks of turtles and fish. The turtles were adorable and Jax really noticed the fish. I know in your head you're thinking, Yeah, Becky, your kid's a genius for noticing a fish, but there was so much going on, several school field trips, and a lot of noise so he was pretty easily distracted. But the bubbles and fish held his attention longer than most, and I pretty much forced him to check out the turtles because I wanted to stay there all day!

 
Sorry for the shoddy filming...it was hard to aim, hold him and the camera without letting him steal it!

There were several other great exhibits, like a huge ant colony--part fascinating and part gross, a place to make bubbles of all different shapes and sizes, an exhibit on what are clouds, plus lots of other science-y things. I actually learned a thing or two!

Blowing bubbles...Jax didn't really notice, even though the bubble water was dripping down my arm

In front of the exhibit on clouds

Also, there was a section for kids under five with age-appropriate exhibits and games for the babies and toddlers. If you have a young child, this place was great--feel free to come visit--we can go together! Jax was mesmerized by this rolling ball exhibit. He could have sat here for hours...

All in all, I feel good about having another fun and pretty educational way to spend a day up here. I'm sure we'll be heading back there soon!

No comments: