Wednesday, January 21, 2009

"Going to California With an Aching in My Heart..."

Slightly dramatic, yes, but there is truth in those LZ lyrics...Next Thursday I am heading to California for a girls' weekend in Sonoma (aka wine country for those of you who haven't had the distinct pleasure of going there). I am so looking forward to seeing my girlfriends from San Diego again (fellow teachers with whom I enjoyed two wonderful years of teaching San Diego's finest--lol), but part of me is beginning to feel apprehension about leaving Jax so soon. I know, 13 weeks old isn't that little, but he's still my little dude. Not that I worry about the boys' weekend he, Daddy, and Baxter are going to enjoy, because I know JDubbs will take excellent care of him. I am just starting to miss him already, and wonder if he'll miss me while I'm gone!

We have such a great routine down and I am so lucky to get to spend every day with him, but now I am spoiled because I forget what's it like to be without him. Yesterday I went to the mall  while J's Nana spent the day with him, and I heard a baby crying in Old Navy; I almost got in my car and came home. It's an interesting dichotomy: wanting my independence and excited for some "grown-up time," but also feeling sad to leave my little guy for three nights and four days (and my husband, too). My confidence comes from knowing that Daddy and Jax will only benefit from some quality time without me hovering around telling JDubbs how to do things, and that I will be that much more thankful that I am able to stay home with him in this economy rather than work. I just hope I can enjoy myself and not make too many phone calls home--I'm going to miss my favorite guys so much!


1 comment:

Z said...

Good for you! I don't think I could do it! I think it's awesome that you will have some girl time...we all still need our girlfriends that's for sure! Have a great time and your men at home will be thrilled to see you when you get back! Have a safe trip and have fun drinking wine with your girls! I still can only have 1 glass at a time here and there and I can't wait for the day that I can just go to town and have 2 glasses :) Hope you guys are doing well.