Tuesday, October 28, 2008

How Was The Delivery???



First of all, thank you to everyone who has been calling/emailing to send us good wishes and congratulations on Jax's arrival. We are busy getting settled but appreciate every thought and prayer sent our way! Until we are able to catch up, here are some details of my big day, if you want to know. Otherwise, read the next post which is all about Jax :)

Wednesday night, JDubbs and I decided to take matters into our own hands and I had spicy pasta with ginger for dinner and raspberry tea, all known to kick-start delivery. Well, something worked because I woke up at midnight Thursday morning with contractions :) At 5:30 a.m. we arrived at the hospital, confirmed I was indeed in labor, then walked/shuffled the halls of the hospital to get things moving. They admitted us at 9:30 a.m. and then the fun began.

I was in labor all day Thursday, literally. I had the support and love of my family as well as Jdubbs for the entire day, so in addition to my husband's unwavering presence, I had my own cheerleading section to help me along. I will not go into horrible details, but I will say it was much harder than I anticipated. I did get an epidural but it wore off twice (once right before my c-section and once in the middle of "active labor"--basically right when I needed it most) and I threw up somewhere around ten times. In short, thank God JDubbs really loves me because there was some not-so-flattering moments (like when I was sitting on the linoleum floor of my hospital room because it felt really cold) and he was there with me every step of the way.

After almost exactly 24 hours of labor, 2 hours of pushing, and a horrible experience with a pair of forceps, my doctors regretfully informed me that I would be having a cesarean section. I had never been so happy in my life, since I was exhausted and ready for the entire ordeal to be over with. Unfortunately, it took almost 40 minutes for my anesthesiologist to administer my spinal block so I still had some work to do. Luckily, though, I had the world's most amazing nurses and they helped me through it even though I thought I was going to pass out or die, whichever came first. Of course, this is hyperbole, but not by much.

So, at 12:32 a.m. on Friday, October 24th, Jax made his debut. At first he had a hard time breathing, which was actually a good thing because he had pooped while in the placenta, which can lead to severe infection if he swallowed it. But he didn't and they fixed him right up so moments later we heard his first little cry...not a scream, just a hello :) He weighed 8 lbs. 15 oz. and is 21" long. I could go on to try to describe the feelings we felt or how amazing he is, but nothing seems quite adequate. Just believe us that he is the most perfect baby on the planet, and we know how blessed we truly are.

2 comments:

Dawniebee12 said...

Oh, Becky, that just made me tear up. I wish I could explain just how happy I am for you...

The Dadej Family said...

Oh becky- what an experience for all 3 of you. Yikes!! I'm glad in the end all was well and you have been graced with a beautiful baby boy.